Alright, so most of you skipped the Stop, Drop & Roll Challenge that I posted on May 5th. I feel ya. It wasn’t easy.
Well, neither is this. This is the same workout for the first 10 minutes, then we’re going to add on. Yes, the PLUS! We’re adding on 10 minutes of abs.
• exercise mat if you have one (if not, you’ll want a carpeted or softer surface for this workout)
• timer or clock
• paper & pen/pencil
This is a REP challenge. You’re going as hard as you can for 10 minutes. Straight. You set your pace. YOU and only YOU can determine how hard you work. That goes for both exercises… the Stop, Drop & Roll and the Alternating Toe Touch Leg Lifts Abs section.
Stop, Drop & Roll (1o minutes, as many reps as you can get)
Alternating Toe Touch Leg Lifts (10 minutes total – 10 sets of 50 seconds work, 10 seconds rest)
Stop, Drop & Roll
• Stand tall, feet shoulder-width apart to start.
• Squat down to the floor, placing your hands just outside your feet. Jump your feet back to a full plank. Modification: step back to a plank one foot at a time.
• Lower yourself to the floor and extend your arms overhead. Using your abs and keeping hands extended over your head, roll to your right onto your back (commando roll). Remember, in the commando roll, your upper body and lower legs are NOT touching the floor. Try to keep just your thighs to your chest or upper back on the floor.
• In one movement, lift your back off the floor and pull your knees into your chest, hugging your knees with your arms. Your back is OFF the floor and you should be resting on what we call your sit bones.
• Lay back on the floor, trying to keep your shoulders, head, arms and lower legs elevated and commando roll one more time to your right until you are back on your belly.
• Once on your belly, place your hands in regular pushup position (about 6 inches outside of your chest on either side), place your feet on the floor and do one pushup on your feet. Return to your belly keeping hands on the floor. Modification: do this pushup on your knees, then return to laying flat on your belly hands still in pushup position.
• Now it’s burpee time! In one movement, push through your arms and jump your feet back in near your hands so you are in a deep squat with hands on the floor outside your feet. Modification: Push through your arms/shoulders and step in one foot at a time instead of jumping.
• Explode up, jumping toward the sky, reaching your hands overhead. Modification: Remove the jump. Just stand tall fast, reaching hands overhead.
That’s 1 rep. Now repeat, this time rolling to your left. Alternate the direction you roll each rep. Every time you burpee/jump, count that as one rep! 🙂
Repeat for 10 minutes! DO NOT QUIT! Count your reps! Suggestion: mark every time you complete 5 pr 10 full reps. It’s easier to keep track of your reps if you break it down into smaller counts.
CHALLENGE: I know, I know. You’re thinking “a challenge”? Is she OUT OF HER MIND? Quite simply, yes. The truth is, you could do this workout 2-3 times per week. If you do, you’ll get bored. So here’s a way to mix it up — Every other minute, alternate between regular pushups and tricep pushups. You’ll end up doing 5 minutes of the Stop, Drop & Roll with regular pushups and 5 minutes of it with tricep pushups. That’ll really challenge your upper body in a whole new way!
Alternating Toe Touch Leg Lifts
Set your timer / clock for 10 minutes with 10 intervals of 50 seconds work and 10 seconds rest. This would be called a Tabata 50:10.
Lay flat on your back, arms stretched out straight over your head. Simultaneously lift your upper body off the floor while you reach your left leg up toward the sky, touching the left side of your foot with your left hand and the arch of your foot (the inside of your left foot) with your right hand. See the photo on the left… you are trying to lift your upper body as high as you can toward your lifted leg. Now lower both your left leg and your upper body so you are laying flat on the floor. This is VERY important. In order to activate your abs, you MUST return to laying flat. Now repeat the movement but lift your right leg and tap your right foot with your two hands. Lower.
You are going to do these over and over and over and over and over and over again. That’s right. 10 rounds of them. Each round you will lift, alternating your lifted leg every single rep for 50 seconds. Then your timer will go off and you’ll rest for 10 seconds. In that 10 seconds, write down how many reps you got in those 50 seconds. Then you’ll do it again for 50 more seconds. 10 rounds total. At the end of your ab section, you should have 10 sets of numbers, representing the reps you did from sets 1-10. Make sense?
It’ll help… I’ll post my numbers from doing this workout on Saturday.
That’s your entire workout. 20 minutes. ALL OUT WORK. You CAN do this.
*I’ll try to post videos of these later.*
God bless & go get em,